Thursday, April 19, 2007

2007-04 A Quick Tour of a small part of San Diego

Ray attended some meetings in San Diego and had a little time after he first arrived to check out the harbor area. He noticed in the hotel they had some cruiser bikes available to ride around the area on, so he took one out. The cruiser bikes are single speed, large seat, high rise comfort style bikes which work well on flat terrain. The bay side area is very flat, so it was a nice way to get around.

I went out to the bike rack to pick one out, went back to get the key and then tried to remove the lock. Unfortunately, the lock didn't open. I had to go back in and get all the keys and try them until I found one that fit. I raised the seat and was off and pedaling--for about 100 feet when the seat had settled back down to the lowest level. NO matter how much I tightened it this kept happening, so I finally wedged the U-lock between the frame and the seat and that kept the seat in a comfortable position for riding.

The area around the hotel is filled with marinas and businesses catering to boat and ship ownership, building and repair. I first went west and out to Shelter Island. This is a long strip of land that provides a protected area for many large boats inside the harbor itself. There are many statues and benches along the peninsula including a memorial for the tuna men who started the tuna industry here. A duck boat was out in the bay while I was there, and I later saw one (maybe the same one) out on Harbor Drive as he was heading back to the east.

This took me back past the hotel, and I kept riding in the direction of Harbor Island. This is another long strip of land in the bay filled with large boats and fancy hotels. Both areas had very nice views of downtown, and Coronado Island, which faces the ocean. Lots of military aircraft are in the air, and military boats in the water due to the naval air base located on Coronado Island.
Not a lot of time to see much else, but if I would have realized the Padres were playing a home game Wednesday evening, I probably would have went down watch the game. As it was, I discovered they were playing when I flipped on the tube about 9:30.

No comments: